Matrimonial Law

The breakup of a relationship is a difficult and emotional time. It requires making complex decisions to separate two people's lives. Individuals may feel overwhelmed trying to tackle the seemingly endless questions — How will money and property be divided? Where will my minor children live? Will I have the financial resources to support myself? The Codjovi Law Firm has answers.

The Codjovi Law Firm provides comprehensive legal representation to clients throughout the divorce or legal separation process. Our lawyers are by your side every step of the way beginning with the initial divorce filing through the negotiation process, litigation in front of both family court and Supreme Court, and the appeals process. We also help clients modify existing divorce agreements to better reflect the realities of their daily lives.


Post Matrimonial Enforcement/Modifications

Divorce agreements are not written in stone. When significant life changes happen, divorce agreements can be modified based on a job loss, promotion or a change in custody. Obtain experienced legal help if you are interested in modifying an existing divorce order. Any changes to your child custody and visitation agreement could ultimately affect the amount of money you pay or receive for child support.
Whether you are interested in enforcing or modifying a court order, entrust our law firm to help protect your best interests.

Modification of Spousal maintenance

Spousal maintenance is designed to help individuals maintain a similar lifestyle they grew accustom to during their marriage. However, if your ex-spouse has remarried or has become self-sufficient with a new job, you may be able to modify your current alimony agreement.  Whether you are in need of spousal support or want help reducing the payments you make to your ex-spouse, we have the skills and legal resources to protect your financial interests.

Modification of Child Support

In New York, child support can be modified, if, for example, your income level has been reduced from a job loss, demotion or possibly from an illness. A salary increase by 15 percent or more from a new job or promotion can also prompt a change in how much child support you pay or receive.A recent change in the law also allows for modification, in most circumstances, if at least 3 years has passed since the last modification.  If child custody has been modified based on your child's best interests, this would also prompt an adjustment to child support.

Modification of Custody/Visitation

A number of factors may prompt a parent to pursue a modification to child custody and visitation agreements. Custody and visitation schedules may need to be modified as children grow and work schedules and lifestyles change. Parental relocation may also make a change in custody and visitation necessary.  The Codjovi Law Firm helps clients modify their existing child custody and visitation schedules to better reflect the realities of today's life.

Child custody may also be modified if one parent wishes to move out of state making it difficult for the noncustodial parent to see his or her child. In this case, the noncustodial parent may try to modify the custody agreement or prevent the relocation. Every child custody modification case is fact specific.
Our law firm also has experience handling modifications if the custodial parent is unfit to parent based on medical concerns, chemical dependency issues and other factors. We are committed to protecting children's best interests in highly complicated parental move away and other child custody modification cases.